You are planing to buy a house equipped with a solar installation? Then this will be an interesting read for you. Buying a house with its solar installation requires a certain amount of specific steps. But we have it all set out for you! Our tips apply to the procedures in France. It might differ in other countries, however, it is still an interesting read!

Administrative procedures

First of all, be aware that it is necessary to add a clause to the deed of sale that mentions not only the existence of the installation but also the liability of the former owner.

It will then be necessary to transfer contracts to the Regional Distribution Agency on the one hand and EDF AOA (French Purchase Obligations Administration) on the other hand. Here is how you should proceed:

  • As a first step, you must send the ARD in charge of the connection contract a written request for an amendment to this contract. The request must be co-signed by the former owner. For installations above 36 kVA, it will also be necessary to request an amendment to the network access contract and the operating agreement. The date of the change of operator and the reading of the production and non-consumption meters must be attached to this request. Then, write a second letter to EDF AOA this time, to request an amendment to the existing purchase contract stipulating the name of the new operator. This request is also co-signed by the former owner and you must attach to it: the date of signature of the amendment to the connection contract (which the ARD will have provided to you following the first step), the contradictory statement of accounts and counts and a copy of the bill of sale.

In parallel to these steps, do not forget to ensure your future installation. On this point, you can read our previous article on the subject here.

The paperwork you need from the former owner

In order to prevent any misunderstanding or malfunction of the installation, ask the seller of the property to provide you with the following documents:

  • Quotations and invoices paid for the installation
  • Details concerning the installation company (if applicable): its name, contact details, name and policy number of the ten-year civil liability insurance
  • The CONSUEL and the report of the control visit if there was one
  • The NOC (Certificate of No Opposition from the Town Hall) and the DAACT (Declaration of Completion of the Work)
  • Sworn statement of the installer certifying that he respected the rules of construction and integration into the building and certifies the origin of the solar panels (with the approval of an inspection body)
  • The CRAE contract (Connection, Access and Operation)
  • Documents concerning the components of the installation (technical data sheets, certificates, etc.)
  • Quotations and invoices for any maintenance and repairs carried out
  • The annual production estimate and the production of recent years
  • Copies of the latest invoices sent to the grid operator and meter readings.

Invoicing and production monitoring

Once the contract transfer has been completed and the documents listed have been retrieved, it is time to take ownership of your installation. You can start by creating your personal space on the EDF website. You will then have to invoice the grid operator for your production every year and your space will help you to edit these invoices. Monitoring your production is also important to better maintain your new property and estimate the income it will provide you.

Finally, you will also have to pay the TURPE (Tariff of Use of the Grid) to the manager annually, and to declare your income from photovoltaics to taxes (only for installations above 3 kWp, the others being exempt when their owner is an individual).

For more information on this subject, please check out the Hepsul guide.